Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Even his doodles are brilliant

If you haven't read Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut, I order you to do so immediately. I read it first a few summers ago.. I was probably around twelve and hadn't read much of his work. It proved to be a very adequate Vonnegut 101. It's basically an autobiography, really, so I expected that it would lack the heart that's so unmistakably present in his fiction. Luckily this is not the case. The book is really like a big cluster of brilliance packed in so tight that every word, every sentence is stunningly simple and honest. 
"All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence you know."
-Hemingway 
I'm always so pressured to articulate everything I know, or think I know, into my writing. I doubt I'll ever be talented enough to do it in one sentence. But Hemingway is saying that it doesn't have to be everything. It just has to be something. Brilliant. 
Every sentence that Vonnegut writes, or types, should I say [he used a typewriter or a pencil and paper for every book he had written], is true. And Man Without a Country piles all those together into something almost all encompassing. True, he didn't get it all, but he only had eighty four years. Had he been given another eighty four, I wouldn't be surprised. But eighty four is long enough for a man to suffer, how could one want to add on time to his sentence?

No comments: