Sunday, October 5, 2008

as violence erupts in kenya..

"I threw stones at the police. Many, many actually.
In return they fired live shots into the air as some started approaching us and then others began gassing us.
Even though there were so many of us the live bullets are still a worry. They should aim up but they don't - they aim right at us.
I was not frightened.
When you are faced with the reality of life, when it comes to this, you can't be afraid, not now.
What frightens me is that I'll die of hunger.
We should be allowed to express our feelings as citizens. We don't need the police to come and invade our lives and our basic needs.
They have arms and are all dressed up in combat gear wearing their red berets. I don't know a lot about guns but I think the ones they have are AK-47s. The ones who don't have guns, have shields. Some of them have batons.
All we have is stones. They have power. No-one even listens to us."
-Gaddafi, 25, unemployed, kibera slum

(BBC)


No comments: